Conservation Commission

A Vernal Pool

What is the Conservation Commission, and what does it do?

The Carver Conservation Commission is a seven-member volunteer town board. The Commission's job is to uphold the state Wetlands Protection Act (M.G.L. Chapter 131, Section 40) and the Carver Wetlands Protection ByLaw. For more information on our Commission and state and local wetland laws read the Understanding the Carver Wetlands Bylaw and Regulations online or pick up a brochure at our office.

Nearly fifty percent of Carver is wetlands; a large portion of that is cranberry bogs, a cultivated wetland. Much of the forested land surrounding the cranberry bogs is the upland that provides our town so much of its open space. Most of the open space in Carver is currently not permanently protected.

The Open Space Planning Committee, a subcommittee of the Commission, has completed the 2010-2015 Open Space and Recreation Plan. This plan includes a Seven-Year Action Plan to protect Carver's open space, rural character, and water resources proactively and permanently. The 2005 Open Space and Recreation Plan is also available.

The Commission meets every first and third Wednesday of each month at 7:00 P.M. in Meeting Room 2 at the Carver Town Hall. Meetings are open to the public. The Conservation Agent is available to help you. If you have any questions concerning your land or a project on or near your property, or are unsure whether you need to file with us, please contact the Agent at the Commission Office.

Members and Contact Information

Conservation Agent:
Sarah G. Hewins, Ph.D.

Office Location: Town Hall, 108 Main Street (Route 58)
Agent's Office Hours: By appointment

Conservation Secretary:

Office Hours: Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday, 8:00am to 1:00pm
Phone: (508) 866-3482
Fax: (508) 866-3430

Conservation Members:
James Nauen, Chair
David Eldredge
Dan Fortier
Russ Lovaas
Jennifer Vaillancourt
Judith Ward

What to submit to the Conservation Commission

Please refer to the filing checklist  (updated 1/29/2014) when Filing a Notice of Intent (NOI), a Request for Determination of Applicability (RDA), an Abbreviated NOI, or an Abbreviated Notice of Resource Area Delineation (ANORAD).